“District and school officials, community advocates, parents and youth worked together to build a roadmap for bullying prevention in the District, and this program marks our commitment to that roadmap’s implementation.”
– Suzanne Greenfield, Director of the Citywide Youth Bullying Prevention Program
The Citywide Youth Bullying Prevention Program – created in June 2013 – aims to reduce incidents of bullying across the District by emphasizing prevention and proper procedures for responding when incidents occur. The program works with youth-serving government agencies, District schools and youth-serving government grantees to ensure bullying prevention policies are adopted and implemented in ways consistent with the best practices adopted by the Youth Bullying Prevention Task Force. The best practices are demonstrated in the Task Force’s District-wide Model Bullying Prevention Policy, released in January of 2013.
The philosophy of the model policy and program discourages an overreliance on discipline and instead adopts a public health approach focused on prevention, supporting at-risk youth and addressing incidents to change behavior. Program staff coordinates high-level trainings, advises stakeholders as they develop curriculum, and evaluates existing initiatives aimed at bullying prevention. The groundbreaking District-wide approach – moving beyond just in-school prevention – makes it one of the most unique and far-reaching government bullying prevention programs in the nation.
*NEW* Youth Bullying Prevention Program: Biennial Compliance Reports
- Youth Bullying Prevention in the District of Columbia: School Year 2017-2018 Compliance Report - The 2017-2018 report analyzes the state of bullying prevention and reviews the rate of incidents of bullying in District public and public charter schools.
- Youth Bullying Prevention in District of Columbia: School Year 2015-2016 Compliance Report - The 2015-2016 report analyzes the state of bullying prevention and reviews the rate of incidents of bullying in District public and public charter schools.
- Youth Bullying Prevention in District of Columbia: School Year 2013-2014 Compliance Report - The 2013-2014 compliance report analyzes the state of bullying prevention policies in District schools.
Youth Bullying Prevention Program: It Takes A District Monthly Editorials
The Youth Bullying Prevention Programs issues monthly highlights to designated points of contact within schools and Bullying Prevention Taskforce members. The editorials provide the latest tips, tools and resources to aide in creating a productive and safe school environment.
- Edition Sixteen - May 2019
- Edition Fifteen - April 2019
- Edition Fourteen - March 2019
- Edition Thirteen - February 2019
- Edition Twelve - January 2019
- Edition Eleven - December 2018
- Edition Ten - November 2018
- Edition Nine - October 2018
- Edition Eight - September 2018
- Edition Seven - May 2018
- Edition Six - April 2018
- Edition Five - March 2018
- Edition Four - February 2018
- Edition Three - January 2018
- Edition Two - December 2017
- Edition One - November 2017
Resources and Information
- Tipsheet: Responding to Reports of Bullying
- Youth Bullying Prevention Act Data - Frequently Asked Questions
- Teacher Tip Sheet - Quick tips on how teachers can prevent and respond to bullying behavior.
- District-wide Model Youth Bullying Prevention Policy - The model policy is a research-based guide to how write an effective bullying prevention policy for your school, government agency or organization.
- Know Your Policy Web Portal - The web portal provides parents and guardians with access to critical bullying prevention information for educational institutions and youth-serving government agencies.
- Tips for Parents Brochure (PDF) - This brochure provides tips for parents who suspect their children may be experiencing bullying.
- Bullying Prevention & Intervention in DC Educational Institutions Training Toolkit - The toolkit provides everything a school, agency or other institutions needs to conduct an effective bullying prevention and intervention training.
- What You Need to Know About Bullying - The fact sheet helps individuals identify and understand bullying.
- Final Rulemaking - The final rulemaking for the Youth Bullying Prevention Act of 2012.
Contact the Citywide Youth Bullying Prevention Program at [email protected].