Requesting a Wheelchair Accessible Taxi
To reserve a trip on a wheelchair accessible taxi vehicle, you have three options:
Call one of the two taxi companies that offer accessible taxis in DC:
- Royal Taxi: 202-398-0500
- Yellow Paratransit: 202-544-1213
- Reserve a taxi conline at:
- Install the mobile app, Taxi Magic, at http://taximagic.com/en_US
How to place a request
- Tell the call-taker that you need a wheelchair accessible taxi.
- Give the call-taker your pick-up and drop-off information, as needed for all taxi trips.
- Choose a pick-up location where you can access the street. This could be your closest street intersection with curb-cuts or sidewalk ramps, or a location with a driveway. Since the vehicles wheelchair ramp is positioned at the rear of the vehicle, you must board the taxi from the street level.
- Give the call-taker any additional information or special instructions that will help the driver find your pick-up location and provide your taxi trip.
Do I have to reserve this service in advance?
You can request immediate service but it is recommended that you reserve a trip at least an hour or two in advance because there are a limited number of wheelchair accessible taxis. You may also reserve your trip a day or two in advance or even a week in advance.
What are the service hours?
24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
What type of service is it?
D.C. accessible taxi service operates like traditional taxi service, providing curb-to-curb service. The taxi driver will help you get on and off the vehicle if needed. If you need help beyond this, you may want to bring someone else along to assist you.
What are the rates or special charges for this service?
The rates for accessible taxi service are the same as for traditional taxi service; there is no extra charge for the accessible taxi. Between the hotel and Capitol Hill or locations downtown the fare will usually be between $15-22.
Can other passengers travel with me on the accessible taxi?
Yes, the accessible taxi vehicles can fit 3 to 4 additional passengers beyond a passenger using a wheelchair. According to the regulated D.C. taxi fares, extra charges apply when traveling with additional passengers six years of age and older.